COMMONWEALTH GAMES BUILT UNDER THE COVERING OF PRAYER
Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast, Australia, April 4 – 15, 2018
Over 37,000 Scripture portions distributed by Gideons, the Bible Society and YWAM.
Over 57,000 wristband prayers given away.
As we all know the Gold Coast was the host of the recent Commonwealth Games. What many may not know is what went on behind the scene as the Churches of the Gold Coast, together with the help of Christians from other parts of the nation, undergirded the Games with prayer and evangelism.
The Church took the initiative responding to the Holy Spirit to work His miracles amongst those who attended the Games, and also within the community of the Gold Coast. Be encouraged and give God the Glory.
This report was compiled for Beyond Gold, the combined Churches initiative that co-ordinated all the aspects of the Christian witness provided to the Games and was supplied by Pastor Len Rossow, the Australian Prayer Network Coordinator in that area.
43 churches engaged in the 24/7 prayer canopy for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. Some of the hidden gems were:
* Since September 2017 prayers were prayed that the hidden gems would emerge in the City. (Specifically Artists and Musicians) We were praying for Artists that carry the Lord’s heart of love and unity and whose work speaks to the heart. We were Praying also that hearts would be open in the City to respond to the Lord’s message in their works.
* We were praying that in the planning God would go ahead of our organizing team, opening the doors for live art, flash-mobs and music in the public square.
* We have been rejoicing in the way Christian Artists and Musicians have been linking together.
Teams from 16 churches were prayer-walking strategic games related locations across the city through Feb – March 2018. In early March a 40 hour Prayer Weekend was held with 45 intercessors from outside the Gold Coast joining with 35 from the Gold Coast to form 8 teams of 10 (Covered 32 Assignments across the Gold Coast. This event was organized through the Australian Prayer Network) It was a powerful weekend bringing a shift in the spiritual atmosphere in the City and preparing the way for productive outreach.
The Baptism of our Mayor, Tom Tate, on Easter Sunday together with positive media publicity set the tone for a great witness in our city as we sought the Lord for a spiritual awakening to the Gospel across the Gold Coast. 85 local churches (3,500 people) were represented at the Easter United Celebration at the new HOTA Amphitheatre. There was a great sense of family and unity as together we lifted Jesus Christ up as Saviour and Lord over the Gold Coast and as a banner over the Commonwealth Games. Quite a number responded to the call to open their hearts to Christ as Saviour and Lord.
The unity of the Churches seen as Street Chaplains, Red Frogs, Gideons, YWAM and many church groups worked in tandem to see the gospel lived out in word and deed during the Games.
Some of the answers to prayer that happened during the games were:
* 380 Bibles and 400 testaments were distributed through the Multi-Faith Centre at the Athletes Village.
* Chaplains reported never having seen such hunger or such engagement during a Games previously.
* Reports of friendly, peaceful atmosphere in the village itself.
* 57,070 individual wristband prayers were given out amounting to 5.14 kilometres of prayer chain
* 30 different groups and 5000 people directly involved in the effort from around the globe.
Traffic and Transport
* Traffic Flow was brilliant. (Seemingly many coast residents heeded the warning extensively publicised through the media to stay at home or use public transport. Many left the coast for the duration of the Games.)
* Public Transport Networks operated efficiently …no breakdowns
* 10,180 scriptures were given away
* Several hundred given away also in Townsville and Cairns where some of the events for the Games were also held.
* 98 Gideon members from every mainland State participated.
* There were 8 known salvations on the streets.
* Distribution covered people from all walks of life
* 20,000 Gospels of Luke were supplied to churches and organisations for distribution by the Bible Society.
YWAM street teams & Outreach Tent:
* 368 YWAMmers releasing 16 ministry teams on the ground through community events, games and sport, street evangelism, street chaplaincy, FLASH Mobs, worship and performance.
* 7000 Gospels of Luke and 6,500 flyers handed out
* 10,000 estimated meaningful conversations and 1 baptism
* 4 churches and organisations partnered with them throughout the Games.
* 100 trained for street chaplaincy by Sports Chaplaincy Aust and Chaplain Watch QLD.
* 43 street chaplains from GC churches, Chaplain Watch Qld, Canberra, Sunshine Coast and Qld regional areas, YWAM.
* Southport, Broadbeach and Surfers covered throughout the Games with Street Chaplains.
* While there were indigenous protests at the Games which attempted to disrupt venues and transport, they were quickly dispersed.
* The Indigenous art and festival at the Ganggalah Ministry Training centre went well and with positive impact.
Praise God for the ways in which the hubs sponsored during the Games where the homeless of the Gold Coast were encouraged to find shelter during the Games operated virtually incident free and for the new possibilities opened up through their success.
Source: Beyond Gold